Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Nut Bar!

Are you not getting the right kind of fat?  I can't tell you about the chemistry, but I can totally tell you all about how much more quickly I lose fat eating the right kind of fats.  (did that make sense?)  My energy is higher, my skin looks better, my cellulite is less... Granted, the fat that I'm eating is not the only reason for these phenomena, but it is the major change I've made to my diet; like the missing link.


This recipe is AWESOME!  It's the fat portion of your meal and is perfect for all members of your family not allergic to nut.  Perfect pre and post workout.


What you need
8x8 Baking Sheet
Wax Paper
Food Processor 
3.5c of Your Favorite Nuts (not your partners')


NUT NOTE:  The original recipe from Primal Blueprint, calls for 1c almonds, 1c hazelnuts, and 1.5c pecans, but I've found some interesting mixes by changing it around with macadamia nuts.  Use whatever floats your boat EXCEPT peanuts.


2/3c ground flaxseed (optional; my current pale challenge coordinator doesn't like flax?!?!?)
2/3c Coconut Flakes
1/2c Almond Butter
1/4c Coconut Oil
2tbs Honey
1/2tsp Salt


IN THE FOOD PROCESSOR:  Toss in nuts, flax, coconut & salt; blend until smooth and turn off.  Put wet ingredients, almond butter, coconut oil & honey, into a microwave safe measuring cup and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds.  Take it out and and mix the ingredients together so they're blended.  Turn the food processor back on and pour the wet ingredients in.  Let the mixer evenly combine all the ingredients.


IN THE 8x8 PAN:  Place a piece of wax paper that will go up and over the sides of the pan.  Pour in the mixture, take a spoon and evenly spread around the pan; don't forget the corners!!!!  Apply pressure!!  


Once it's flat, fold the wax paper over to cover the nut mix.  If you have another 8x8 sheet or a round pan that will fit inside, stack it on top of the mixture.  If you don't, search your kitchen for something flat that will fit inside the pan and put pressure on the mixture.  Put the pan in the fridge for 3-6 hours and place some heavy items on top of it so the mixture is compressed.


I like to use a round pan, then, once in the fridge I put Dave's half gallon milk carton into it for added pressure.


Take it out and cut it into 12-16 even squares.  Store them in the fridge to keep them firm!  Share with family and friends.  Eat with your favorite protein!!


ENJOY!


S

No comments:

Post a Comment